- BROTO ROY - Composition , tablas
- BRUCE SWAIM - Sax, flute
- SCOTT AMBUSH - Electric Bass
- SAMBARTA RAKHIT - Sitar
August 25, 2018 - BRQ with drummer Leland Nakamura
Arrowbrook Centre Park, Fairfax, VA 20171 - 7:30 pm Map
August 27, 2018 - BRQ with drums
Penn Ave Live! Noon Series - International Trade Center, Woodrow Wilson Plaza, Washington, DC Map
September 22, 2018 - BRQ
Multicultural Festival, Reston, VA Map
May 26, 2019 - 3:00 pm - BRQ
Opera House - Havre de Grace, Maryland - Map
July 1, 2018
Broto Roy with Ganga - 7:00 pm - Smithsonian Folklife Festival party
July 21, 2018
Broto Roy flute and tabla Duet - 1:00 pm -Water Lily & Lotus Festival at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, Washington, DC (202) 692-6080
July 21, 2018
Broto Roy flute and tabla Duet - 7:30 pm - OneCircle, Silver Spring Maryland (301)949-8984
June 30, 2018
Broto Roy, sitar and tabla Duet - 3:00 pm - Hershey Pennsylvania
January 19, 2018
The Kennedy Center accompanying "Turquoise Lake". Live internet broadcast.
September 17, 2017
The Broto Roy Quartet - Pennsylvania Avenue Live! Noon Concert Series. Broadcast on 94.7FM.
On the Plaza at 12th Street & Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC. Sax, sitar, tabla & bass.
September 23, 2017
Broto Roy Duet - Reston Festival - World Stage, Reston, Virginia. 3:30 pm Saturday. Sitar & tabla.
October 14, 2017
Duet - Harmony Hall, Ft. Washington, MD - 1:00 pm - John Wubbenhorst, Indian bansuri flute and Broto, tabla
October 18, 2017
Duet - OneCircle, Silver Spring, MD. John Wubbenhorst, Indian bansuri flute and Broto, tabla
May 4, 2017
Broto Roy - Dallas Opera, Winspear Opera House, Dallas, Texas for Arjuna's Dilemma 7:30 pm.
The Broto Roy Quartet - Penn State University, Pennsylvania - 6 pm. Sax, sitar, tabla & bass.
Broto Roy with Turquoise Lake - National Sawdust Hall, Brooklyn, New York. Harmonium, guitar, keyboards, tabla, horns and drumkit. 4 pm. Followed by Philip Glass and Senegalese musician Foday Musa Suso.
Broto Roy, tabla Humayun Khan, vocals. National Cathedral, Washington DC. Noon.
Broto Roy with the Humayun Khan Ensemble (Sextet). Embassy of India, Washington, DC. 7:30 pm
"Girl Rising" - Global Social Action Campaign for girls education conference.
Broto Roy with the Humayun Khan Ensemble (Sextet)- Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center, Silver Spring, Maryland. 7:30 pm
Duet - J. Protopapas, sitar, Broto Roy,tabla - Lansdowne Resort Leesburg, Virginia. 6:00 pm
Duet - J. Protopapas, sitar, Broto Roy,tabla - Early Mountain Vineyards, Charlottesville, Virginia. 7pm
Duet - Broto Roy, tabla; Indro Roy Chowdhury, sitar - Wolf Trap Deck, Vienna, Virginia - 5:00 pm
Pre-event concert for Indian composer, A.R. Rahman. Mr. Rahman was present at the event prior to his own 8 pm performance at Wolf Trap.
Duet - Raoufi, sarod; Broto Roy, tabla - Maryland State Arts Council's Newton Mansion, Mitchellville, Maryland 7:00 pm.
Duet - Raoufi, sarod; Broto Roy, tabla - University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, Virginia. Noon.
Duet - Raoufi, sarod; Broto Roy, tabla - Beauvoir Hall at Washington National Cathedral 6:00 pm
Duet - Humayun Khan, vocals; Broto Roy, tabla - Art & Drama Institute, Washington, DC. 11:00 am
Broto Roy Solo percussion lecture - Maryland University College, UMUC, Largo, MD. Noon.
Duet - Broto Roy, tabla; Indro Roy Chowdhury, sitar - Harrisburg Community College, Pennsylvania - Cooper Student Center. Noon.
Sanjay Mishra Trio - 3G's Festival, Black River Falls, Wisconsin
Washington, DC - Blues Alley - two shows: 8 & 10 pm. With Sanjay Mishra
Harrisburg, Community College - University of Pennsylvania. Indro Roy Chowdhury, sitar & Broto, tabla
4.22 - 4.25.13
Royal Oak, in Maryland's Eastern Shore, US. Participation in the Dovetail Artist Residency program devoted to bringing five artists from diverse backgrounds to collaborate in the creation of a new composition. Sponsored by Mid-Atlantic Arts Association.
Sussex College - New Jersey -
Indian Classical music - sitar and tabla Program booklet
WPFW Radio interview
Broto Roy Ensemble - Montpelier Arts Center, Maryland Jazz Series
Poster sitar; saxophone; keyboards; bass and drums
Sanjay Mishra Band - Blues Alley, Washington, DC
Sanjay Mishra Band - State Theatre, Falls Church, VA
Sanjay Mishra Sextet - Blues Alley's Festival of Indian Jazz, Washington, DC.
- Sat 9/10/11 - 1:00 pm and Sunday 9/11/11 - 8:00 am - with the
Humayun Khan Band at the National Cathedral, Washington, DC. High profile occasion with President Obama attending and lots of superstars.
- June 23 and 25 - Festival Musiques du
Monde d'Essaouira, Morocco with Humayun Khan and Shahin
Shahida's group "Between Worlds"
- April 20, 2010 - Syracuse University - Hendricks Chapel - 7:30
pm, New York
- April 21, 2010 - State University of New York-Oswego
- May 1, 2010 - Montpelier Arts Center - Herb and Tea Festival. GANGA
- Music of Bengal with guitarist Sanjay Mishra and dancer Jayantee
- June 5th, 2010 - World Folk Festival, Glen Echo Park, Maryland. GANGA
- Folk Music of Bengal
- June 24th, 2010 - Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the National
Mall, Washington, DC. Noon and 3:00 pm GANGA - Folk Music of
- April 13, 2010 - Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale -
Broto Roy's Dance Trio - 12:15 pm
- April 1, 2010 - Pennsylvania State University, Altoona - Broto
with Indro Roy Chowdhury, sitar. Noon.
- Mar. 12 '10 - Beauviour National Cathedral School, Washington,
DC. East Indian Music. 2 sets: 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm.
- Mar. 11 '10 - The Hill School, Middleburg, Virginia. Broto Roy
Trio, East Indian Music & Dance. School program - 2 sets: 9-9:45 am
and 11-11:45 am.
- Jan. 10, 2010 8 pm. (Sunday) - Army-Navy Country Club, 1700 Army
Arlington, Virginia 22202 with Naba Singha - sitar.
- Jan. 9, 2010 6 pm. (Saturday) with Noor W. - Music & Dance of
Afghanistan (Sold Out!) for Greg Mortenson's book event "Three Cups of
Tea". Sponsored by The Richmond Forum, at the Landmark Theater,
- Nov 04, '09 - Blues Alley, Washington, DC with Sanjay Mishra,
guitarist. Two shows: 8 & 10 pm.
- Oct 27, '09 (Tuesday) - Art & Drama Therapy Institute,
Washington DC. Music and Dance of India: Humayun Khan, vocals; Yasmina,
kathak dance; Christel Stevens, harmonium & B. on tabla. 10:30 am.
- September 30, '09 - U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's
"Diversity Day", Bethesda, MD. John Wubbenhorst, flute & B. on
- July 10, '09 - GANGA Mason District Park Amphitheater -
Fairfax County, VA "Spotlight by Starlight" concert series. 7:30 pm -
- May 30, '09 Saturday, concert for Indian saint "Ma". Vienna,
Virginia with John Wubbenhorst, flute.
- May 17, '09 - Broto Roy Ensemble - East-West fusion with bass,
guitar, flute & drumkit at the Festival of Nations, PG County,
- May 2, '09 - Folk Music of India - GANGA At the
Washington Ethical Society Hall, 7750 16th St. NW, DC. 8:00 pm
- Apr 20, '09 Monday 12:30 pm - Northern Virginia Community
College, Woodbridge Campus at Campus Center
- Apr 15, '09 Wednesday 2:00 pm - Northern Virginia Community
College, Annandale Campus CF P
- Apr 4, '09 Saturday 12:40 pm - University of Mary Washington -
sitar & tabla - Monroe Hall stage, Fredericksburg, VA
- Mar 23, '09 - Univ of South Carolina at Columbia SC. With Indro,
sitar. 12:00 pm noon.
- Feb 18, '09 - Blues Alley - Washington DC. Broto accompanies
Sanjay Mishra, guitar; John Wubbenhorst, flute & keyboards.
- Nov 13, '08 - 1:00 pm at University of Pennsylvania - Hazelton
campus. Sitar by Indro Roy Chowdhury, B. on tabla.
- Nov 7, '08 - Noon at La Roche College, Pittsburgh PA Sitar/tabla
concert with Indro Roy Chowdhury
- Oct. 19, '08 (Sunday 2:00 pm) - Loudon County Library, Ashburn
branch - Tabla and Sitar duo featuring Subroto Roy Chowdhury sitarist
extraordinaire from Calcutta, India and Broto on tabla.
- Oct. 18, '08 5 pm - Subroto Roy Chowdhury sitar/tabla concert at
the residence of Ranjana & Narayan Khan 10812 Old Coach Road,
- Oct. 11, '08 Saturday - GANGA, of the Roy family, plays the
Richmond Folk Festival - New Market Stage at 2:00 pm.
- BROTO ROY'S INDIAN DANCE with dancers YASMINA and PARUL SHAH;
Indro Roy Chowdhury, sitar; Broto, tabla; and Christel, harmonium.
Monday, April 21, '08 7:00 - 8:00 PM. St. John's University, Queens, NY
- BROTO ROY'S INDIAN DANCE TRIO with YASMINA and Christel on
harmonium. Monday, April 14, '08 - 1:30 - 2:00 PM - McDaniel College,
- BROTO ROY'S INDIAN DANCE TRIO with YASMINA and Christel on
Wednesday, April 9, '08 - 1:30 - 2:00 PM - Northern Virginia Community
College - Annandale Campus Plaza
- The Kennedy Center, Washington, DC - Thursday, Nov 22, '07. The
Broto Roy Ensemble. The concert centered around the tabla and
recitation of its 5,000 year old percussion language. The evening began
with a concerto for tabla ensemble, then an Indian “raga” with sitar, a
few short original songs and finally, a cheoreographed dance with tabla
compositions said and played. All the music was scored for sitar,
tabla, keyboard, drumkit, bass, and soprano vocals.
- Seton Hall University, NJ - Tues., September 18 '07. Music &
Dance of Afghanistan
- St. Mary's College, MD - Friday, September 28 '07. Sitar &
- Elmira College, NY - Thursday, October 18, '07. Sitar & Tabla
- The Taft School, Watertown, Connecticut - April '07 with The
Music & Dance of Afghanistan. Noor Wodjouatt, vocals; Basir
Wodjouatt, rebab; Yasmina, dance, Broto, tabla.
- South Carroll High School, Sitar & Tabla Concert for Unity
Day - March 23, '07, Sykesville, MD
- Corporate Event for British Petroleum - Oct 12, '06 Sitar &
Tabla concert, Chantilly, VA
- SUNY-Syracuse, NY Aug 28, '06 Goldstein Auditorium. Broto with
"Bamiyan" - authentic Afghan music and dance and vocals.
- Lowell, MA July 29 and 30, '06 - The 20th Annual Lowell Folk
Festival. Four shows of classical Indian music with sitar wizard
Debiprasad Chatterjee. Seven stages, with national acts as varied as
Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, blues by The Bobby Parker Band and
- The Broto Roy Octet 7/27/05 - Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.
Four original, new compositions and a few songs by Broto Roy featuring
the Indian Ragas Puriyadhanashri and Behag were performed. All the
music was scored for vocals (Deeme Katson), saxophone (Marshall Keys),
guitar (Pedro J. Sera-Leyva), piano and synthesizer DX7 (Harry
Appleman), bass (Teo Graca), drums (Saul McCormack), and tabla (Broto
Roy). Live Webcast and archive at www.kennedy-center.org/millennium.
- Broto accompanied virtuoso guitarist Fareed Haque (of the band
Garaj Mahal), Steve Smith (drums) and Dan Nimmer (keyboardist for the
Wynton Marsalis Quartet) in San Francisco at The Boom Boom Room, 1601
Fillmore Street 5/7/05.
- 10/12/05 Broto accompanied one of Calcutta's best vocalists,
Pandit Santanu Bandyopadhyay and fusion artist Neel Adhikari
- 10/17/04 - Gandhi Center with Grammy Nominee sitar virtuoso,
- The Roy family group "Ganga" performed folk music of Bengal,
India on Saturday, 6/4/05 at the Washington Folk Festival.
- 11/22/03 Saturday, 6 pm - Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.
East-West fusion by the Broto Roy Sextet.
- 11/20/03 - GANGA, Music of Bengal India, The Library of Congress'
"Capitol Roots Series"
- 10/5/03 The Columbia Pike Festival - The Broto Roy Band
- Summer '03 - The Art & Drama Therapy Institute commissioned
Broto to compose a piece for submission to the 47th Annual Grammy
Awards in 2004
- The 2002 Smithsonian Silk Road Festival on the National Mall with
the Bauls of Bangladesh - June 26th - July 8
- World Music Institute Washington Square Church
- July 7, 2001 at Lowell, MA (outside Boston) Broto and his fusion
group performed at the Summer Music Festival
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art Uris Auditorium
- The Smithsonian's Freer Gallery.
- The Peabody Conservatory
- Towson State College - Krashaar Auditorium with poet Robert Bly
- Concert to Uplift Spirits - In Memoriam of the Victims and Heroes
of September 11th
- The Kennedy Center - Artist in Residence July 1998
- Freer and Sackler Galleries of the Smithsonian Institution
- Library of Congress Coolidge Auditorium
- Blues Alley
- The Dance Place with Sarah Rudner performing "Heartbeat"
- Toured with one of India's fast rising sitar players, Sugato Nag
- Toured with one of India's leading sitar players, Subrata Roy
- National Gallery of Women in the Arts
- Loft Jazz Festival
- Free Jazz Festival
- The Smithsonian Institute's American Folk Life Festival
- New Music America Festival
- The Bayou
- The Washington Folk Festival at Glen Echo Park
- The Ethnic Heritage Festival
- The Kitchen
- The Knitting Factory
- The Newark Museum
- The Lowell Folk Festival 7/2000 with sarod virtuoso Aashish Kahn.
- National Folk Festival, 8/2002, East Lansing
- Detroit Festival of Colors
- 53rd National Folk Festival, Johnstown
- Celebration of the Bicentennial of the Constitution, Philadelphia
- Kerrville Music Festival
- Volkerkrunde Museum, Dahlem, Berlin, and
- Stockholm, Sweden, and many more...
- Radio Free Europe
- National Public Radio, coast to coast
- Radio Smithsonian
- Voice of America Global Broadcast
Broto Roy ©2017
- Mary Washington College, Virginia
- ount Holyoke, Massachusetts
- University of Cincinnati, Ohio
- SUNY, Syracuse, New York
- Elmira College, Pennsylvania and many